Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Strange But True South Carolina

I have a book that has the same name as the title of this post. It's full of quirky things about our beloved state. Local restaurants (like the Beacon), festivals (like Come-See-Me), tourist attractions/"wonders" of our state (like, of course, the Gaffney Peach), even some ghost stories.

This is one of those books that I don't have to hurry to finish. I can take my time, pick it up whenever, read a couple of interesting things, then put it back and save it for later. I picked it up the other day for the first time in a while and as I was reading about some local festivals I got this strong, sudden urge to go visit these places. I want to travel all over the state, trying local foods, experiencing local customs.

I enjoy learning about other cultures, especially of the latin american persuasion, but sometimes I think that I get so caught up in other cultures that I forget about my own.

So, who wants to go exploring South Carolina with me?

4 comments:

Jay Grant said...

I think they should add "Vend-a-Moo" to that book. Certainly a 24-hour drive through milk gallon vending machine is one of the most peculiar things in our state. It's always fun reading about places you've lived or visited. Sounds like a great book!

Brooke S said...

oh chris, i'm totally in...and if it says anything about either a bbq festival or pie festival...i'm double in, because those are dreams of mine.

Tigerrama85 said...

vend-a-moo should totally be in the book. And, of course there are bbq festivals but I haven't read anything about pie festivals yet.

Katie said...

um. I couldnt be more in. Im coming downstairs immediately to get this book and plan a trip. Our state is so interesting, and shoot, just gaffney alone is worth the trip! lets go!