Friday, November 12, 2010

One Big Table


When it comes to meeting college students, I've come up with a fool-proof plan. It involves a bright orange shirt with a spork on the back (I even met my wife while wearing that shirt). But when it comes to meeting older folks, I tend to freeze up. And if said older folk has any sort of fame attached to them, the more awkward I can be (the phrase "You're number one in our book" comes to mind).
And yet, Friday night, I found myself at Erin's Restaurant torn between enjoying my dinner and wondering what I was going to say to Molly O'Neill when she finally showed up. She's spent the past ten years traveling around the country in an attempt to determine whether or not America really has stopped cooking for themselves (thankfully she has come to the conclusion that it hasn't). The result of her travels is a cookbook containing 600 recipes. Weighing in at 5.5 pounds this is quite possibly the most intimidating cookbook ever. I mean, I wouldn't want to meet it in a dark alley at night.
After my food was eaten and the bill was paid I made my way over to her table and we began to chat. Well, mostly she asked me questions about myself and Brandi (who wasn't there at the time, but she signed the cookbook to her). All in all, it was a good experience. Brandi ended up being able to meet her towards the end and after quasi-swapping contact information we parted ways.
Who knows, maybe this positive experience in meeting a semi-famous person and not making a fool of myself will lead to other opportunities. There is a Relient K concert in about a month....

No comments: