Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

The first time I read The Chronicles of Narnia was right before the first movie came out. I was blown away by both the books and the movie. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, though it differed some from the book, kept the feel and theme of the book which I've come to realize is more important than getting the book on film word for word.

The second time I read through the chronicles was right before the second movie came out. Again, the books were fantastic, but something was lacking from the movie. I've finally decided that as a sequel to the first movie, Prince Caspian is not bad, but as an adaptation of the book, it's not very good. Additional scenes and kisses aside, it didn't have the same feel that the book had.

Some of the things I'd heard and seen that were related to the newest movie, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, made me question whether this movie would go the way of Caspian rather than LWW, but after seeing a couple of trailers for the movie, my excitement was resurrected. And I wasn't disappointed. Again, the movie didn't follow the book to the letter, but the magic that made LWW great was there. If you haven't seen it yet, you really need to for two reasons: 1) It's a great movie and 2) If this movie doesn't make enough profit, there may not be any more Narnia movies. I can sit here and tell you the things that I would have done differently if I had made the movie (I would have kept the Dufflepods original back-story for example) but why focus on what they should have done instead of focusing on what they did, which was make a great movie based on a great book.

Have you seen it yet? What did you think?

No comments: