Sunday, December 5, 2010

Relient K and more Christmas Carol Misunderstanding

I haven't been to a Relient K concert in a few years so when I found out that not only would they been in Columbia, but in Columbia on my birthday, I decided my Relient K concert drought was over. Brandi and I went down to Cola last night and, despite that fact that we were probably the only people over the age of 20 that weren't chaperons, employees of the tavern or part of the band, it was fantastic!
They spent the first part of the concert playing their regular songs and the second part playing their Christmas songs. When they played "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" I remembered another misunderstanding that I used to have. Two years ago, I wrote about how I don't always understand the lyrics that we sing during Christmas (update: I finally learned what "laud" means). This new misunderstanding, however, was completely my own doing. The lines

From God our Heavenly Father
A blessed Angel came;
And unto certain Shepherds
Brought tidings of the same:

I used to think the line was "brought tidings of dismay" possibly because the word "dismay" is used earlier in the song, possibly because I didn't know what "dismay" meant...who knows? Either way, it happened but I now know and knowing is half the battle....or something.

No comments: